Friday, May 23, 2014

How to thicken sauces the low FODMAP way, and creamy mustard sauce recipe

I know it's never a great idea to just replace western food items with replacements, as a lot of nutrition e.g. vitamins and fibre are lost simply exchanging bread for gluten free bread etc. Also, I usually don't like he taste of a lot of gluten free items. There are plenty of alternative foods to eat. That being said, I really crave comfort food in winter. The following ways are ways you can thicken sauces without using wheat flour:

  1. Cornflour. A tablespoon mixed in water and added to the liquid should thicken about 400 ml of liquid. Increase quantity if you want a thicker sauce. I usually make up more than I think I'll need, add bits, stir and check how much it thickens. This option isn't paleo. 
  2. Arrowroot. Use it the same way as cornflour. Don't boil sauce with this option. This is paleo. 
  3. If it is a stew, ensure you have potato or sweet potato in it. Remove a portion and blend it with a stick blender. Add it back. 

Creamy mustard sauce recipe


I changed up the old Edmonds recipe when making corned silverside (aka paleo chewing gum), but this sauce could be good for straight up beef or chicken. 


Edmonds recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 whole egg or 2 egg yolks
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon arrowroot
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard or 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 cup of water (use liquid meat was cooked in if silverside)
  • 1/4 white, apple cider or malt vinegar
  • Salt and pepper

Method

  1. Mix sugar and egg in a pot. 
  2. Whisk in water, mustard and vinegar. Simmer. 
  3. In a cup mix arrowroot and a splash of water into a paste. Whisk into pot. 
  4. Salt and pepper to taste. 

Notes

I used two egg yolks as I had them leftover in the fridge.  The original recipe called for malt vinegar, but I didn't have any so I used white. I don't think it matters what vinegar you used, as long as it wasn't red wine vinegar.  Bonus tip - for mashed potato without milk, reserve the water you boiled the potatoes in and add back a little when mashing. Use a little butter as you would normally.



No comments:

Post a Comment